Saturday 2 March 2013

My Most Dreaded Nightmare: Behaviour Problem

My son is changing every new day. He learns new things and to my utter surprise he is a new boy everyday. Well nothing to get surprised of as he has so many things around that would influence him in many ways. My son's pediatrician told me when my son was born that he is a clean slate today, write all good things in his memory and see him growing into a good lad. I have always been cautious in whatever I say or do in front of him. But it is not just me only that influence him. There are many factors like bad role models and specially of their age group, television and even the daily interaction with people who are part of our lives.


But all this can be dealt with by parents only.
And for this, one needs to be an aware and an involved parent because you need to observe whether these behavioral problems are occasional or is it a routine. Also one needs to observe if there is any reason that triggers this behavior in your child. Here are some tips that I have complied for myself that I will surely take care off to keep such problem areas at bay.

1. Time management: As a parent I need to spend time with my son too. Generally I have observed that kids tend to throw tantrums only to gain attention. If I can carve out some valuable time with my son then there are chances that I can steer his thoughts the way I want to. And if he is aware of this fact that this particular moment my parents are not going to do anything else other than being with me then it is for sure that the behavior will fluctuate less. So for this you need to manage your time well that you have ample time up your sleeve. Everything else should be secondary for you when it comes to your child's time. Remember you can do other chores tomorrow but this particular time when your child needs you and you can enjoy with your child will never come tomorrow.


2. Keep a check on your behavior too: Kids love to imitate their parents. Check out the girls imitating the mothers and boys imitating their fathers. Actually they would observe you more closely even better than you would observe yourself. The way you deal with you temper will be the standard operating procedure for him. So be very careful to what you do whenever things don't go as per you. keep your tantrums in control and see your child behaving in conditions that does not go in his favor.

3. No TV and Video games Day:  I am sure of the fact that there will be a complete check on the number of hours that my child is going to watch TV or play video games. Actually have started early that there is a day in a week that is without any TV or video games. Hope this interaction with TV is lessened and there are less chances of my kid getting swayed.

4. Reduce Pressure on your kids: Generally parents try and keep their kids busy by utilizing their every bit of their time. After school the kids are enrolled in dance classes, art classes, karate classes and many more. And not to forget the tutions. The kids do not have breathing space also. There might be some activities that the kids do not like but are made to do so because their parents desire them to do so. Parents cannot be blamed too for all these because what they could not do in their childhood or what they could not get in their childhood they want their kids to enjoy all that. In all this they forget what pressure they are putting on their kids. And the only way to ease out the pressure, the kids tend to show behavioral changes and even rely on means like lying. Thus as a educated parent it is my duty to see what my kids like and enjoy and enroll them for those activities only. And the day should be so scheduled that the child has enough time to unwind too.



5. Be steady with your rules: We set some rules of the house for our kids and they get used to these rules. But one day we are very busy and the kids want your relaxation of these rules and just because we have to do a particular chore and do not want the kid to trouble us then we try and bend the rules. Kids are very smart. They can gauge when to twist your arm for things to go their way. If you don't allow them to play video games in the evening then you should not relax the rule in case there are guest coming over in the evening for a leisure meeting. But yes do plan something for your kid so that his time is utilized and he is occupied.

The kid is not the problem it is just their behavior that is the problem. So I am sure that to tackle the problem I will hit on the behavior aspect than to hit on my child. It was my decision to bring him to this world so I have to take all possible steps to make him a good human being and a child with behavior at its best. For me tantrums is a complete no-no but yes mischief which does not harm anybody is surely acceptable. It is my duty to teach my child the difference between good and bad as well as what is acceptable and what is not. And I take full responsibility for the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment